September 27, 2017

The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls...A New Christian Fiction Series for Kids {Book Review}

The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls from WorthyKids/Ideals {Book Review}
I am always on the lookout for quality books that aren't filled with smut. This is especially true when it comes to book selections for my boys. So much of the children's literature available--especially for chapter books--is filled to the brim with smut and political agendas. And that's not coming into our house! Thankfully there ARE other options out there. Over the last few weeks, we have had the pleasure of reviewing the first two books in a new children's chapter book series from WorthyKids/Ideals called The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls. I am happy to say that I have found a series that meets my approval for quality AND entertaining chapter books!

About The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls Book Series

The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls book series is published by WorthyKids/Ideals of Worthy Publishing Group. This book series is geared for ages 6-9 and is biblical fiction. The series revolves
around siblings Peter and Mary who are sent to be with their Great-Uncle Solomon for a summer. While there, they discover ancient mysterious scrolls which transport them back in time to key moments in biblical history.

The first book, The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls: The Beginning (Book #1), introduces us to Peter, Mary, Hank the dog, and Great-Uncle Solomon. The readers will join Peter, Mary, and Hank as they discover an ancient scroll--and upon breaking its wax seal are zapped back in time to the very creation of the world! They meet Michael the angel who tells them they must solve the words on the scroll within seven days to be able to return to their own time. But it's not that easy--there is a sneaky serpent bent on claiming the scroll for himself. Can they evade the snake, avoid being trampled by rhinos, and solve the scroll's mystery before it's too late?

Next in the series is The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls: Race to the Ark (Book #2), which (as you probably have guessed) has Peter and Mary transported back into biblical history to the days of the great flood and Noah. With just seven days to solve the mystery of the scroll, they also have to help Noah finish getting the ark ready for the impending disaster! Along the way they will be face to face with an old foe--will they recognize him for what he is in time? Can they help Noah and his family get in the ark in time? Will they solve the scroll too late?

Our Thoughts

From the time these arrived, my youngest son (age 7) was so excited to FINALLY have a book series that he could actually read without help! When we started, he sat on my lap and he read under my guidance. Because I wanted to actually get through the book before the review was due, I took over reading many of the chapters. The books are ripe for dramatic reading--something I enjoy doing!

As the story played out, my son realized that it was the story of creation and LOVED telling me what day of creation would come next. He wasn't 100% solid on the order, but after this book, he is now! He simply remembers how the book goes and is able to give me the order! He even told me "I am 'membering what happened to Peter and Mary, and it helps me!" As we drew near the conclusion, his eyes got wide and he excitedly said "It's just like my bible!"

I can say that he definitely loved the book. I found it well written and if your child is familiar with the story of creation in Genesis 1-3, they will take even more pleasure from it.

Because I allowed us to progress slowly through the books--reading a chapter here and there throughout the week--we haven't been able to get to book two yet. But I have read ahead and I can tell that the author uses their same exciting writing style to share the story of Noah. I know that my son will love rediscovering the beloved bible story.

Issues--
Really, there were only two things from the first book that I had to "tweak". First off, because of our personal view on angels and their physical appearance, I decided to ad-lib at times. If you are fine with Michael the angel flying in (he is always portrayed with huge wings--even in the illustrations) regularly to talk to the kids than you won't need to. Again. This is personal preference.

Secondly, we added more discussion to the 7th day of creation in book 1, since we are 7th day Sabbath keeping Christians. I would have liked to see it actually MENTION that God blessed the 7th day and sanctified it the way it does in Genesis 2:3, and not just simply say "God took a rest."

Book two contains a normal issue for all books biblical flood related for children--the number of the animals. As we always have to do, we will discuss how the bible says that the certain kinds of animals did arrive "two-by-two", but that the bible also clearly states that the animals allowed for sacrifice and as food arrived in sets of 7 pairs, not just a single pair. (Genesis 7:2) Again. I didn't expect the book to get it right, because it's just something all biblical fiction for children tends to get incorrect.

Things to consider--
Remember this is biblical FICTION. The story is going to deviate at times from the actual biblical story in regards to the interaction with the characters. I believe that as long as your child KNOWS the bible stories--AND you review them after they read the book, they won't have any issues sorting fact from fiction.

Favorite Passage--
My son didn't really have a favorite passage. I did though. I just loved the way that the author described the relationship that God had with Adam on page 93 of The Beginning, book 1:

God showed the man the garden. They talked and they laughed. It was like they were happy to finally be together. Peter thought it would be amazing to take a walk with God.
This is just so beautiful and captures the very thoughts that I have had reading the scriptures from the bible. I am glad that author portrayed it as such for the children to think about.

Favorite Characters--
My son loved Hank the dog the best because he could tell time. I personally liked crazy Great-Uncle Solomon.

In Summary--
If you are looking for a good and entertaining option for your elementary aged children to enjoy, please consider checking out The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls book series from WorthyKids/Ideals. They can be found on Amazon and all other major book retailers.

Want to Know More?

We have been enjoying The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls book series from WorthyKids/Ideals! What did the other crew members think? Make sure you visit them to learn more!
The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls. {WorthyKids/Ideals Reviews}

**
Even with the issues I discussed above, we really enjoyed this book series. It is definitely something that I will continue to collect as future installments come out. 

No comments: