July 17, 2019

Simply Music: Online Piano Lessons for All Ages {Product Review}

I have been playing the piano for 35 years. I taught piano for about 10 years. But in that time I haven't had "time" to teach my own children. I have one son who isn't interested at all, so I haven't pushed it. My youngest son, however, is more drawn to learning music. When we had the chance to review Simply Music and their Music & Creativity - Foundation Course, I decided it was the perfect time to get him started.

About the Program


Simply Music was created to offer students of all ages the ability to learn music and to love music without the traditional approach of music reading first. Designed to immediately immerse the
student into music, the basics are covered--starting with simply showing the student the keys on the piano, how to put their fingers on the keys, and how to play them in different orders to make the music they hear. By additionally providing the student with practice pads that replicate the piano keys, the student can practice "on the go" even without their piano. Each of the songs is also taught with the opportunity for the students to use the pre-recorded soundtracks to enhance their performances. The reference book can be printed out in advance and coordinates with each lesson. You can also read the Music and the Art of Long Term Relationships book which is shared as well.
Each lesson contains multiple videos to teach new songs and concepts
A practice pad can be printed and put together for those without piano access
Soundtrack links are included for each lesson
The Foundations course introduces the students to the basic structure of the piano with being PLAYING-based, not the music reading based on traditional piano programs. Throughout the program, the students will be adding contemporary, classical, gospel, blues and jazz styles to their repertoire. Unlike most piano courses, the Music & Creativity-- Foundations course is 100% free! Yes, FREE! No credit card required. Simply come and get started on your musical journey with a completely.

Our Thoughts on the Program


As a piano teacher, one of the things that I'm most curious about is how well my son will do learning with a playing-based method versus the reading-based method I have taught myself. I set him up at the piano and hit play and let him go! Each series of lessons is clearly laid out, with the videos being about 4-7 minutes long. They come with links to the practice pad, reference book, and any soundtracks if needed. The videos are taught by the creator of the program Neil Simon.

Here is where I will add my first note: My son was INCREDIBLY distracted by the weird thick gold chain necklace that the man was wearing. And I agree. I wish that he had gone necklace free or something because it just jumps out since he's wearing black clothes. Especially for the closeups.

Because this was designed for a wide range of ages, Mr. Simon speaks more like he's talking to adults, and my son got bored very quickly. He did perk up when the lessons went to actual piano keys. After each video lesson is completed, you must click "mark complete" to be able to move on. Included with the program are zip files for the Reference Book and the entire collection of the background soundtracks. There is also a pdf you can print off and using the guidelines, cut and tape together a practice piano. This would be very useful for someone who has to borrow a piano or just doesn't have one they can use often. We opted not to print it off, as we have a full-size piano he can access at any time. I did print off the pages for the lesson from the reference book.

I really liked that my son got frequent shots of the instructor's hands so he could make sure his own fingers were placed where they needed to be.

So a quick breakdown of how the lessons work:

Complete course list
Basic discussion about learning music with talk about how learning it in small manageable pieces is the best way. That everyone learns a different speed and there isn't a race to know. (This was what my son found boring. LOL). Then there is a basic introduction of what middle C is and where it is located. Then a lesson having them set up a base 5 configuration starting with their left most fingers on C and placing one finger on each note after quickly naming them--teaching they are alphabetical and that all notes on the piano that look the same are the same name. Then they are instructed to simply practice playing those notes going up and going down. The next step is to introduce the music for the song "Dreams Come True" by breaking it down into music sentences. They are taught the two RH sentences one at a time. Then they are taught the LH sentences. Then they are shown how to have a starting and ending note for each. Finally, they are taught how to put them together. And once that is learned and they can do it, how to add extra finishing touches. Then they are directed to play it as a song. Encouraged to do it with the included accompaniment track. Given lyrics even to sing with it. By the end of Lesson 3, they will have learned how to play a whole song.

This is the process for the rest of the course.

As I suspected, he picked up the initial lessons quite quickly. Here he is practicing his simply base 5 notes.


He really liked being able to just sit at the piano with the computer and work independently on the work. He would pause the videos whenever something new was introduced to the practice. And then when he got it well enough, he would continue the videos. It was easy to have him practice, for he just went to the piano randomly and practiced the sequences he had learned with each video. Once he got it well enough, he would have me video it for him to listen to.

Once he learned the RH sentences:


As of now, he's in the last few lesson videos for Lesson 3. He's had to slow down now that the hands are supposed to play together, but he's still doing very very good.


Being very curious as to WHEN actual music reading is taught (as I am a FIRM believer that it IS important to know how to read the notes fairly early as sooooo many CANNOT--only able to play "by ear".), I attempted to jump ahead in the course to view the final lessons of the Foundations course. Unfortunately, they are locked until each lesson is completed in sequence. I have no idea when the music reading begins. There IS a second-level course that can be purchased after the Foundations course is completed--and I wonder and even suspect that is when music reading begins.

As a piano teacher myself, I think that I will start introducing my son to what the notes look like on sheet music as he learns their placement on the piano through this course. This will allow him to learn it both ways and I think it will be easier for him to transition to music reading if he already has the basics. Even if we only learn the notes one Simply Music song at a time.

So, overall thoughts? I think this IS a good program for those who want a "quick start" to playing the piano and don't want to wait to learn the reading aspect. The lessons are short with immediate results. I can see how children who have ADHD would do well with it. It gives immediate results with under 7-minute videos.

But...
I am not 100% convinced that introducing the music reading aspect should be pushed back until after several songs are learned. I am a firm believer that it is possible to have immediate results, the immersion, AND the music reading knowledge early in the lessons. But then--that's how I've ALWAYS taught my students. So I'm sure I'm partial. LOL.

We WILL continue to use this with my son. He's doing well and go as fast as he desires. His brother went to the piano and just started mashing random keys--my youngest son rushed over and told him "THAT is not how you play! Here let me show you how to play!" and then proceeded to play what he's learned of his song thus far. LOL.

I will start incorporating basic music reading as he goes along. I think this is going to be the best method for us. It allows me to be more of a tutor over the full teacher. Once we finish the Foundations course, I may opt to go with the second-level course as it is only $35 for the whole year.

This is a FREE course. So you have NOTHING to lose if you choose to give it a try! :)

Want to Know More?

For the last several weeks, my 8-year-old has been reviewing the Music & Creativity - Foundation Course from Simply Music. I encourage you to visit other crew members to get a feel for what the program has to offer as a whole!
Learn to Play the Piano with Music & Creativity - Foundation Course {Simply Music Reviews}
♩ FACEBOOK ♩ TWITTER ♩ PINTEREST 
♩ INSTAGRAM ♩ YOUTUBE

*****

No comments: